Scientific consensus including from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) emphasizes the urgent need to sharply cut global greenhouse gas emissions. The Net Zero Pathway harnesses our data resources to guide your organization to decarbonization at a crucial time for our planet.
Net Zero Pathway
Why Net Zero?
In 2015, the Paris Agreement stressed the need to reduce global greenhouse gas emissions in order to limit global warming to 1.5°C. According to the latest report from the IPCC, failing to cap temperature rise at 1.5°C would lead to a warmer climate with exponentially deadlier consequences including heat waves, sea level rise, and extreme weather events. To face this new challenge, international frameworks such as the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) tell us that greenhouse gas emissions need to be cut in half by 2030 and drop to zero by 2050 to curb the most catastrophic effects of climate change.
In addition to the urgency of global warming, organizations must consider growing demand from the public, customers, and stakeholders to be part of the solution. Accelerating climate action is an opportunity to build a competitive advantage and strengthen business reputations while positively impacting our environment.
How to Achieve Net Zero
Answering the call to accelerate climate action and advancing organizations’ need to navigate this complicated issue, Verdis Group developed the Net Zero Pathway, a three-step process that will enable your business to set and achieve your decarbonization ambitions:
- Measure. The first step in your Net Zero journey is to account for the emissions that your organization is responsible for. A greenhouse gas inventory should include both direct and indirect emissions, known as Scope 1, 2 and 3 under the GREENHOUSE GAS PROTOCOL.
- Target. We work with you to identify which strategies can be implemented to reduce your emissions such as building efficiencies, renewable energies, supplier engagement, and many more. Targeted strategies will provide clarity on how and when emissions reduction can occur and allow your organization to set ambitious targets.
- Implement. Our team of experts can work with your organization to facilitate and organize the implementation of the selected strategies, supported by the appropriate tools and processes, to meet your sustainability goals.
The right target for you
In the race to Net Zero, countries, cities, and organizations alike are rushing to set meaningful targets and achieve ambitious goals. However, the quality of the targets and the strategic plan that supports them must be scrutinized to ensure that they are realistic and actionable — not just words on paper.
Here are the six principles that Verdis Group considers key in setting the right targets for your organization:
- Ambition. Your target must be in line with the climate science as defined by the SBTi.
- Timeframe. In addition to long-term goals, interim targets must be set to support immediate action.
- Boundary. All meaningful greenhouse gas emissions from the value chain should be accounted for and addressed (Scope 1, 2 and 3).
- Transparency. Fully communicating the details of your greenhouse gas inventory and your Net Zero Pathway will ensure that stakeholders trust and buy into your efforts.
- Reduction before neutralization. The first priority must be to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to the greatest extent possible, followed by exploring neutralization options such as carbon offsets.
- Inclusivity. Recognizing and directly addressing that climate change has a disproportionately negative impact on Black people, Indigenous people, and people of color.
Verdis Group’s Net Zero Pathway supplies your organization with the necessary expertise and tools to accelerate decarbonization efforts and set yourself apart as a climate leader. Reach out today to start your journey with us.